Saturday, August 20, 2011

Honey Jams!

     I have just finished making a batch of Blueberry Honey Jam using no pectin, besides the blueberries and Honey I also added 2 T lemon juice and juice of one lime. I let it simmer for 30 min. then whipped it with a handheld blender till smooth, then used a wire whip for 6 min. The whipping seems to help set it and thicken it, releasing the fruits natural pectin. It tastes great and we will see in a few weeks if it has set. I did this with some raspberry jam a few weeks ago and it turned out amazing. I did strawberry but did not quip it and it seems a bit runny.
      If you have other great successes with honey in your cooking let me know it makes such a nice jam and I also like to can with it.
       



4 comments:

  1. So here is the Blueberry Honey Jam Recipe it worked out great and seems to be very well jelled

    12 c berries ( Blue, Rasp, or strawberries)
    2 1/2 to 3 c Honey ( lighter honey works best)
    juice of 2 Lemons and 1 Lime.

    pour the honey over the berries in a large sauce pan that will allow for boiling and bubbling. Let this mixture sit for 1-2 hrs. depending on how much time you have. Then add lemon and lime juice and set the pot to simmer. I like to use a low heat so I don't have to stir quite so much but a quicker high heat if you don't mind paying lots of attention to your jam. It needs to boil for approx 30 min. use a cold plate to test the jell. When you have a nice set wash and warm you jars. approx. 12 cups of jam will be made. so choose your jars accordingly. boil you lids for 5 min. then put the jam in the jars, after cleaning off the tops of the jars place the lids on and screw down tightly, process in a hot bath for 10 min. remove jars and let them seal. If you have never made jam and need more details let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I may want to try this with you before going out on my own.

    ReplyDelete