Wednesday, July 18, 2012

From Grandma's Desk: Ginger Cherry Jam

6 cups pitted sweet cherries
1 1/2 cups honey
1 Tbls. finely grated fresh ginger

Have clean jars ready this will make about 6 cups of jam. While the jam is cooking you should have your jar lids ready for putting on the jars. I heat them in a sauce pan of water that I bring to a boil for 5 min. then let them sit in the hot water until you are ready to use them.

Put all ingredients together in a large 2 qt saucepan and heat over medium until it comes to a boil. I let it simmer stirring often until the liquid is clear and the cherries are soft about a 15 min. slow simmer. I then take my hand held blender and blend for 1 min.to reduce the cherries to a nice textured pulp. Then I whip it for 6 min with a wire whip. This releases the natural pectin. I warm the mixture back up to a bubbling brew. Then using a metal measuring cup I pour it into the waiting jars. Clean off the rim of each jar with a damp cloth. Place jar lids on each jar tighten down the lids and place in a waiting water bath let this bath boil for 1o min. then remove jars and let cool. It takes a few weeks for the pectin in the fruit to fully set so don't be surprised if the jam is a bit watery at first.



No comments:

Post a Comment